An important step in creating a book is its design. Book design is the process of art designing the cover and interior content. He must correctly convey the content of the book in a more capacious and concise form with the help of artistic graphics, font, illustrations.
How is the design of the book different?
The design of the book is determined by its theme, idea. It can be more simple or complex, bright or less noticeable, soft or outrageous. The presentation of the printed publication depends on the design of the cover. There are 5 main methods of external design of books:
- Font or lettering. These are not just symbols of the alphabet, with its help you can form a bright composition. The font will depend entirely on the main theme of the book. The standard format is able to convey the content, and the unusual version solves more complex problems, drawing all the attention of the reader. A modern design font, thanks to semantic and associative elements, will reveal all the advantages and features. At the same time, the rhythmic connection between the letters is important, as well as their texture, color, and size.
- Plot-thematic image. The content of the book is expressed through images. Book illustration designs should be related to a specific episode.
- Weaving with ornament. Such weaving is located mainly on the spine, endpaper and plays an auxiliary role. The content is based on semantic components that are known to the reader.
- Symbolic image. Graphics, photomontage, engraving will help convey the idea based on the content. Symbols can be dynamic or static. It is important not to overdo it, too complex images may remain misunderstood.
Together, these and other design components form an integral decorative composition and are interconnected with the content of the book.
Components of a book cover
The cover is exactly the part that you need to pay attention to in the first place. This is a visual image that will sell. A well-designed cover increases recognition, interest of buyers, and hence sales. It is important that the design matches the content of the book as much as possible, and the cover is not too bright or pale, and the design of the pages leaves a pleasant impression. All these nuances are known and implemented by 24Print designers. They will develop an original book design layout that the reader will definitely like. Custom book covers must contain the following elements:
- Clear title and subtitle
- The key element that will grab attention.
- A pronounced composition with details that will not distract.
- Attractive visual design elements.
- Efficient use of free space
Book cover design, the price of which will depend on the complexity of the layout development, may include different elements. Mandatory components of the cover design are: the author's name, title and subtitles, background images and graphics, and brief annotations of reviews, if they correspond to the design of the book. If the cover is being created for a printed book, do not forget about the spine, which should be noticeable. To do this, you can use all the advantages of an attractive font. When choosing the right image for a book cover design, you need to start from its plot, a certain scene that can be created using illustrations.
Stages of book design
An important point in the development of the layout of the book is the definition of the target audience for which the printed matter will be intended. It is important to figure out who will be interested in the book and how to focus on it. It is also worth deciding on such important parameters as font, color, type of illustration, cover design. Some covers are more likeable, while others are repulsive, so it's important to understand the reasons why this is happening. After the analysis, you can start working on the design. There are three main stages in creating a book design:
- Preparation of the main layout of the design is the most difficult and painstaking of the stages. Key attention is paid to style, font, colors, images. It is worth considering the size of the book and its precise structure. In the graphic editor, the CMYK model is selected, it is necessary for high-quality printing.
- Layout is the process of arranging all pages, as well as spreads, headings, images, into a single whole. Filling with text, the design must fully comply with the layout. Special programs are designed for layout, for example, such as Adobe InDesign. All components of the design should look like a single whole.
- Design of the outer part cover design, separator for all chapters, titles, illustrations, endpapers, as well as spreads.
The design of the book should fully correspond to its subject. For technical books, the most important thing is to choose the right font, while illustrations may be completely absent. To design a book for a child, you need to work as carefully as possible on images and bright colors.
Where can I order a book design?
The design of the book will be individual, it is an absolutely creative process that requires